Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old November 13th   #1
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Angry No longer supporting many local shows

I have read many racial comments posted elsewhere by local organizers recently about our President and just because the comments weren't said about me doesn't mean they weren't about me. So I will no longer support many of the shows I have in the past and I will pass the word on to my friends who would not agree with the racist comments either. I hear people say this country is doomed but it's not because of the paths the President chooses to take, it's the groups of individuals that keep it divided.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th   #2
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Send a message via AIM to protek Send a message via Skype™ to protek
Racism should never be tolerated. It should be them thats stopped from coming to events, not you.
protek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #3
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Can you point us towards those comments? I have an extremely low tolerance for racial comments, and racial comments about our President are fighting words for me.
Old November 14th   #4
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

I would bring this to the attention of the person saying such garbage. I've come to believe that whether or not you like/trust/agree with whomever is President, you should respect them (once in office, lol). A person with a role such as promoter should never be caught saying such things, let alone anyone in general.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

????? What in the world are you talking about.........only place I can think of you reading anything is hsvpolitical forum.....(aka hsvracing).

On a side note I've said this 100 million times I'm not a racist against anyone but idiot's. On another note, people can have a negative view toward Obama and not be considered a racist. Not trying to stir the pot or start something just making that clear.
Old November 14th   #6
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Curious to see specifically what you consider racist.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
Curious to see specifically what you consider racist.
As am I.
Old November 14th   #8
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

A race thread over here? Never thought I'd see the day when that happened. Guess I better tread lightly. Surely don't need any more drummed up false thoughts about me.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #9
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

The statements appear to have been removed. But to clarify, what one might think is a joke might be considered racism to another. Example, we had a power failure at work and someone asked all the black people to smile so they can be seen. A few people thought it was funny, some people didn't and neither did HR. That person was terminated.

Old November 14th   #10
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDP 7 View Post
The statements appear to have been removed. But to clarify, what one might think is a joke might be considered racism to another. Example, we had a power failure at work and someone asked all the black people to smile so they can be seen. A few people thought it was funny, some people didn't and neither did HR. That person was terminated.
That...is uncalled for and obviously racist. Was it something so blatant on this forum or was it off site? If it was on this forum, one may want to talk with Samir personally about it.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #11
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Racism isn't a one way street. Those people probably went home and watch BET before they attended their quarterly NAACP meeting, and that's their choice. I could care less what they say or do because it will not affect what I do on a daily basis.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for posting and letting your opinion out there. I also know the sting of racism and profiling--I no longer enjoy flying because of it.

Politics as a topic of discussion is always a dangerous one as it always seems to be dragged down to the lowest common denominator. A lot of times people can be respectful, but a lot of times they'll sling mud. It's unfortunate that race is brought in the picture with the most recent Presidential election. I don't believe race has any bearing on a person's ideas--and that's the basis of what we should be voting on.

I hate that you've felt the sting of racism. And if you want to privately let me know which organizer(s) were stating racist ideas and in what context, I will keep that in mind when affiliating HCS with them. That's not something I want the HCS name attached with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
That...is uncalled for and obviously racist. Was it something so blatant on this forum or was it off site? If it was on this forum, one may want to talk with Samir personally about it.
If there is ever a comment of this nature, it is completely against the rules. And depending on the severity of it, can call for an immediate and permanent ban.
Old November 14th   #13
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham

I hope you still come out to The Speakerbox meets (and others). Definitely won't tolerate any racism, either.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV

Last edited by Beckham; November 14th at 12:31 PM.
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #14
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Interesting to read. I'm curious as to who you're referring to, Hiram. As there are only so many people around town that produce shows on a regular basis, I assume there is a very short list of names to go through. I know I'm not someone that has a very high opinion/approval of the president, but I'm also not a racist. I do, however, believe you're referring to me as you're no longer listed as a friend of mine on facebook.

So, lets clear the air.

Internet memes are funny little posters made to be humorous. Yes, I posted one today that reads: "McDonald's: Giving people with swag employed since 1940." Not racist. I posted another last night which depicted Obama's face on a roll of toilet paper. Also, not racist. Go to www.printedtp.com and you can have them print anyone's face on a roll of toilet paper. It doesn't matter who they are or what color they are.

I haven't deleted anything I've posted. I'll happily back up anything I post. If I am wrong, I have no problem in admitting that I am wrong. The majority of my posts are done in good humor, and politicians as a whole are targets for such humor because of their status and actions. That is the risk you take of being a politician. You do stupid things and people that don't agree with it will be critical and will make you out to be a complete joke.

Here's something else I posted the other day after the election, and will gladly post it here word-for-word:

Quote:
"All this talk of racism is starting to irritate me. Let me explain something. The only people complaining about race (that I have seen so far) are Obama supporters. Then, people that aren't Obama supporters feel the need to defend themselves or validate the fact that they voted the way that they did. Look, racism will never die as long as black people keep playing the race card and white people keep having to defend themselves because they're afraid they might be called racist or someone may think they're discriminating against someone because of their race. Slavery ended 147 years ago...certainly there's not residual white guilt left over from this. Very few people alive today even experienced anything (or know anyone that did) in the early 1900s having to do with racial discrimination. The further along in the 1900s the less discrimination there was, until now, its self-discrimination. The only people holding any "minority" back is themselves. My opinion is that if the going get tough, the race card gets played and the situation is made easier because everyone in charge is afraid of a discrimination lawsuit. I equate this with the getting hit in football and over exaggerating or embellishing it by throwing yourself half way across the field trying to get the referee to throw a penalty flag. In the words of James Brown "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" - if you were, you wouldn't use being black as an excuse because you didn't put forth the effort into being a successful and productive member of American society. In that mentality, being black would be a disability. No wonder so many are on it."
Racism goes much more than one way. White people aren't the only racist people in this world. You wouldn't know that by watching the news, though. The road goes both ways. I'm tired of hearing people complain about it, and playing the race card if they don't get their way. I'm tired of it being said that people are unhappy with Obama being re-elected because he's black. Well...if its going to come to that, why not be unhappy with it because he's half caucasian? It makes about as much sense...and ITS TRUE!

I'm not going to continue a long rant on here, but I will say this. I am entitled to a personal opinion just as you are, Hiram. Just because I am a car show promoter, and I have an opinion, and I express that opinion using my personal outlets that doesn't involve any of my promotional venues, then it should be left as a personal opinion and not used to attempt to put someone on blast. There is still something called the right to freedom of speech, and until Obama repeals that constitutional right, I plan to use it to its fullest potential.
Old November 14th   #15
Reckon
Reckon
so...

Just so I get this correct - there is someone else on this board also named Hiram? That name was called out in JayMack's post and I want to make sure it wasn't specifically referring to me as I have no idea what is going on (since my name is also Hiram and I have yet to meet another person with that name in Huntsville).

Back on topic - to quote Voltaire/Evelyn Beatrice Hall "I disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death for your right to say it" - opinions are just that, no matter how vile or how intelligent they may be. And politics is one of those things that shouldn't be discussed unless ground rules are established and those discussing have done their due diligence with regards to facts.

Last edited by Reckon; November 14th at 01:58 PM.
Reckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th   #16
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

HDP 7's name is Hiram so it's not directed toward you Reckon.
Old November 14th   #17
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
Snorkel!
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #18
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

I worked with a Hiram at Cinram...he moonlighted as a Domino Pizza delivery dude as well...seems to be a popular name.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #19
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
Snorkel!
i haz snorkel!
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #20
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Ok, in response to your reply Jay, although I had no intention of mentioning who I was referring to, I'll point out how wrong you are. First, I would like to thank you for admitting what you posted which saves me the trouble of making reference to it. Now, your Facebook page belongs to you, you control who has access to it, you control the content posted on it, so if it's on your page and you allow it to remain on your page, it means you agree with what's posted and you are ultimately responsible for it. Now, the toilet tissue posted was not an issue as I've seen and commented on several post as well, but comment " when you wipe your ass, you won't see your shit, lol" is the comment that took things too far. Making a derogatory comment pertaining to someone's skin color is about as racist a comment as anyone could make. Even though you didn't actually make the comment, you allowed it, said nor did anything to stop or discourage it. And as we know, doing nothing to stop a wrong act is just as wrong as committing it. And you say black people use the race card as an excuse, well EVERY person who has made controversial comments dealing with race has used the 1st amendment as their excuse. How about everyone who has nothing nice to say, exercise their right to remain silent.