Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Huntsville Planning Commission Hearing
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

November 18th 02:00 PM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Dr. Richard Showers, Sr. Recreation Center, 4600 Blue Springs Road, Huntsville, AL

"A second public forum will take place at the Dr. Richard Showers, Sr. Recreation Center, Nov. 18 at 2:00 p.m., at 4600 Blue Springs Road."

If you are an enthusiast on any level, and enjoy the scene we have here, YOU NEED TO COME TO THIS HEARING TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS!!

The Huntsville City Planning Commission is planning to destroy the only venue for one of the more popular aspects of our hobby--autocrossing. If this venue is eliminated, it will devastate one of the oldest enthusiast organizations here in Huntsville--Twickenham Auto Club and the sister club Tennessee Vally Region of the Sports Car Club of America. This will also continue to allow local legislation to destroy our hobby through things like the time limits imposed on the drag strip and the loud stereo ordinance.

We have already lost our rights to drag race safely at night at our drag strip because we didn't speak up. And now we're about to lose autocross. And if we don't say something now, they'll never hear us.

It's time to rise up and show up in force. Pure numbers are what we need to show that enthusiast interests will no longer be ignored. Bring every enthusiast you know and let our voice be heard.

I personally urge you to plan to attend this important meeting, and spread the news of this hearing to every enthusiast you know.

If you are unable to attend, please watch the session live:
http://www.traveller.com/coh/

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Here's some video from today's hearing. Overall, there was a good turnout and there was some acknowledgement by the city for the need for enthusiast facilities. However, nothing was even remotely done about changing the current plans. These plans go to the planning commission Tuesday and will be passed unless there is opposition.

Old November 19th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I talked about this at dinner Saturday night and had a 99% sure feeling that would be the case. They don't care and have made that obvious several times.
Old November 19th   #3
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

I will be there! I oppose the crap out of the idea. Even people with sticks can jam them in tank treads, and stop the machinery dead in its tracks. Lets go jam sticks in the Central Park gears.
Old November 19th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I talked about this at dinner Saturday night and had a 99% sure feeling that would be the case. They don't care and have made that obvious several times.
Talking won't change anything. What happened to coming out and opposing by being present. Mayor Battle specifically cited how there was 'only one person there' at the last public hearing. They don't know we exist. That's problem number one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
I will be there! I oppose the crap out of the idea. Even people with sticks can jam them in tank treads, and stop the machinery dead in its tracks. Lets go jam sticks in the Central Park gears.
Not exactly the analogy I'd use, but I like the idea.
Old November 19th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Talking won't change anything. What happened to coming out and opposing by being present. Mayor Battle specifically cited how there was 'only one person there' at the last public hearing. They don't know we exist. That's problem number one.
Not exactly the analogy I'd use, but I like the idea.
To be honest because I'm tired. I knew it would be a lost cause and just piss me off if i went. We just flat out don't have the numbers and i knew that going in. I hate to be like that but I've just kind of accepted it. If you really stop to look at it JHP wouldn't have lasted more then a few more years at the rate it was deteriorating. I auto crossed once there this year on a old set of tires in my gf tsx and it CHEWED them up. Like i said hate to be that guy but everyone else already thinks it.........

Soccer mom's with nothing to do vs. people with jobs...............hmmmmmm wonder who has more free time. I've stopped focusing on things I have no control over.....and like i said face it, it was already to late.

Last edited by EvilZ; November 19th at 11:52 AM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th   #6
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
In on 1.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
In on 1.
Go ahead and come at me with pitch forks, I'm used to it.

You can't wait to the last public meeting to make a stand and expect to accomplish anything. I'm really sorry I didn't get in on this sooner because we might could have done something.

Last edited by EvilZ; November 19th at 12:02 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th   #8
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA
November 20, 2012
5:00 p.m. 1st Floor Council Chambers

http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/Planning...gendaNov12.pdf

PUBLIC HEARINGS
8. JOHN HUNTING PARK MASTER PLAN
Old November 19th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
To be honest because I'm tired. I knew it would be a lost cause and just piss me off if i went. We just flat out don't have the numbers and i knew that going in. I hate to be like that but I've just kind of accepted it. If you really stop to look at it JHP wouldn't have lasted more then a few more years at the rate it was deteriorating. I auto crossed once there this year on a old set of tires in my gf tsx and it CHEWED them up. Like i said hate to be that guy but everyone else already thinks it.........

Soccer mom's with nothing to do vs. people with jobs...............hmmmmmm wonder who has more free time. I've stopped focusing on things I have no control over.....and like i said face it, it was already to late.
I can understand that. But it's definitely not a lost cause. I managed to piss one of the council members off by merely suggesting that the tennis courts and soccer fields be moved to somewhere else since the old airport surface is more adaptable to our needs vs theirs. Anyone that can make you angry has power over you. We have some power here. We shouldn't give up.

We needs numbers--raw, solid numbers. If we had even just half of what turns out on events each weekend, we'd overwhelm them. Let's make that happen!!!
Quote:
In on 1.
Quote:
Go ahead and come at me with pitch forks, I'm used to it.
Beck, you that's against the rules. Be nice.
Quote:
You can't wait to the last public meeting to make a stand and expect to accomplish anything. I'm really sorry I didn't get in on this sooner because we might could have done something.
You typically can't, but this isn't the last hearing, it's the only one for the planning commission. And we still have a solid chance since it's on the agenda--check it out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA
November 20, 2012
5:00 p.m. 1st Floor Council Chambers

http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/Planning...gendaNov12.pdf

PUBLIC HEARINGS
8. JOHN HUNTING PARK MASTER PLAN
I urge you to come, even if it is just to be a body in the room that's on our side. It makes a world of difference.
Old November 19th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

More video added to gallery.
Old November 19th   #11
Beckham
Beckham

I just said "In on 1." (page one)

How is that against the rules? Lol

Old November 19th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I just said "In on 1." (page one)

How is that against the rules? Lol
Well, he took that as rubbing that in his face, and that type of behavior is strictly prohibited by 5.a.2 of the Terms of Service.

Now if you would've had a question mark or that would have posed it as a question and just normal conversation.
Old November 19th   #13
Beckham
Beckham

He didn't take it that way (we have talked outside this thread), but ok.

Old November 19th   #14
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

All you local boys and girls probably know this, but where are the council chambers?
nine3shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
He didn't take it that way (we have talked outside this thread), but ok.
That's fine. Just be sure it looks that way when reading it here too.
Old November 19th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine3shoof View Post
All you local boys and girls probably know this, but where are the council chambers?
If you're downtown at the courthouse, you take that one road that drops off suddenly and turns. It's that marble white building right there I believe.
Old November 19th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine3shoof View Post
I actually didn't notice this was the thread for the public hearing. Complete address for tomorrow's council meeting:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=6944
Old November 19th   #18
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

I will try to get out of work in time. That hasn't happened in a while though.
nine3shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th   #19
naikaidriver
naikaidriver
Finally home for a while!

I will be there.

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote