Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > What's New

What's New Links to all the event coverage as well as special announcements

Old April 26th   #1
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

What is your "American Idol"?

As I was watching the show “American Idol” this week it got me thinking about the level of talent and how hard it is to stand out from the crowd these days. I think we can say the same thing about the cars we see on the streets today, it has become very hard to distinguish one car brand from another. The past few years has seen the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, and Dodge Charger give us a blast from the past as each of these cars brought back that classic/iconic look that they became famous for.

Even the new 2014 Chevy Corvette unveiled a few weeks ago pulled from the old-school goodies bag by reviving the “Stingray” name……used for the first time since 1967. (I’m a Ford guy, but I think it looks awesome!)

2014 and 1967 Corvette Stingray (photo from Automobilesreview.com)

I think if the American auto maker wants to sell more cars and get back the piece of the pie being lost to the foreign car makers, they must not be swayed by all the market studies and social media hype. The Detroit boys need to make cars that appeal to the young crowd as well as the older guys who enjoy driving American Iron. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of many cars from across the pond, however, it seems that today’s cars are falling into the cookie-cutter mold and all look the same! Seriously it’s very difficult to make out a Hyundai from a Jaguar or a Kia from BMW and to me that’s a problem. I’m not saying the design is not good or that the cars aren’t attractive, I’m just afraid buyers are searching for a unique look that sets their ride apart.

Years ago part of the American dream for every young boy was to own a true “American Idol” and it was parked in your driveway!

Joe (reprinted from: http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.co...ican-idol.html)
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th   #2
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

I have thought about this too, many times over the years. You could see it coming. I recall in my teen days (yes, we had cars then) we could all tell a car make and model miles away at night just by seeing the tail lights, and the general shape in daylight. As the requirements for cars to be more fuel efficient became tougher wind tunnel testing moved more into design. An efficient shape is the same regardless of manufacturer/brand. That is why I appreciate what the younger enthusiasts are doing with cars and trucks now, creating a unique look. My '51 truck would probably not get very good wind tunnel numbers but no one cared in '51 so they designed to other criteria.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th   #3
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Spot on man......the creativity of the car enthusist today is alive and they do have lots of great ideas but they only have a limited canvas to work on with all the cookie cutter car molds.....maybe Detroit will wake up before its to late!!
Old May 1st   #4
dbagency
dbagency
about to install the stereo in the Willys
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

I agree with Chuck about the aerodynamics. My 52 Willys would be a nightmare in the wind tunnel but it sure has a seperate place among the crowd. I love the new Vette myself. It is very sweet.

Hey, if you guys need specialty car insurance visit my site at:
http://www.safemoneywithdavid.com/Sp...nsurance-.html
2042 Beltline Road SW Suite B104
Decatur AL 35601
256-355-2223
1-888-842-9025
www.safemoneywithdavid.com
We Insure What you Value Most.
dbagency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st   #5
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Like a brick right?? LOL it has the cool factor!
Old May 2nd   #6
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Thanks for the positive response from my Blog guys!!!!