Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 27th   #1
vwangler
vwangler
has no status.

Car-guy friendly neighborhoods

Getting married and purchasing a new home, but I'm very worried about some of the covenants and restrictions in many of the new Huntsville/Harvest/Madison neighborhoods. I don't plan on leaving rusty disassembled cars in the driveway or anything, but I'd like to be able to work in my garage... and in the summer I might want to have the garage door open while I'm in it. I'm looking to you guys to point me in the direction of some car-guy friendly neighborhoods in the Huntsville/Harvest/Madison area. Thanks!
vwangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #2
SkinnyPete
SkinnyPete
has no status.

I have heard that in Hampton Cove you can't leave anything in your driveway over night. I will never live anywhere where people try to tell me what I can and can't do with my property.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th   #3
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

South Huntsville in the Camelot subdivision is a laid back area. There are people that have had cars sitting in thier driveway for the past 13 years and have not been cited for it yet. Plenty of house for sale in that area too. Good luck with your search.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th   #4
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Live out in the county. Don't get caught up in that subdivision rat race. Out in the county nobody bothers you.
Old June 30th   #5
///Laid GP
///Laid GP
is excited that show season is here.

I live in emerald meadows and we have no covenants.

Raven Black '09 CTS-V - CAI, exhaust, appearance stuff

'01 Grand Prix GT - Bagged, custom paint, too much to list

'95 Silverado - 22" KMC Slide, mild drop, custom paint, 5.3 LS motor sitting on the stand for it
///Laid GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th   #6
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

If all you want to do is work in your garage, even with the garage door open, anywhere should be fine. I live in Hampton Cove and have worked on all my junk in the driveway over the past eight years. As long as it doesn't sit out in the driveway for days on end, sitting on jackstands, you should be fine. I have mixed feeling about HOAs. Yes they do make the rules and you have to follow them if you are going to live there, but it does help keep the riff-raff out, and your neighborhood looking nice.

Funny story though, I had a brand new F150 a few years back, and ran over a nail, so I had to take the tire off and take it to get it plugged. I had the truck sitting on the jack for one day (not overnight) and one of my nosey a$$ neighbors (not the HOA) said something to me. The main problem I have is that you can't have more than two cars in your driveway. I'd really like to start a autocross/track car project, but I have no room for it.

Last edited by TGR 96; July 25th at 09:01 AM.
TGR 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th   #7
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

You have to beware the real estate person who tells you there are no covenants or restrictions. Most subdivision restrictions are put in place by developers before any lots are sold. They then "run with the land", usually for a set number of years. When you buy a house there you automatically sign without necessarily knowing it. It is possible to check it on the county website, but it may not be easy. HOA's are a different animal.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote