Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > What's New

What's New Links to all the event coverage as well as special announcements

Old August 16th   #1
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Old Flame?

Think back and see if you can remember that special girl that you had a crush on……you chased her, dreamed of her, then one day you finally worked up the courage to take her out and the relationship began. Then a strange transformation took place, your whole world revolved around her, she is all you thought about and you spent all your hard earned money on her. Everything was working out great and you loved her so much, but as time went on your relationship grew farther apart and you didn’t seem to spend as much money on her and you began to see a few flaws in her and you even seemed to lose your desire to spend as much time with her. Even if it lasted a long time, the relationship lost its spark and you sometimes found yourself looking around at other girls (note to self……this can lead to big trouble).

>

Okay, have you figured out that I’m not talking about a girl? I’m talking about an old flame……your old car you used to have, she was your baby, but now somebody else is driving her?? You sold her, traded her, etc…….it doesn’t matter the reason, the fact is, she’s not yours anymore! It’s a sad day after she is gone and you realize you wish you had her back. I’m sure many of you can relate to this.

The O-Jays in 1978 had a song titled “Used to be my girl” that had a few lyrics that should remind you of that old car you wish you had back! “I respect her, when she was mine, I used to neglect her, she wanted more than I could give……..And if I had the chance, I’d take her back, as a matter a fact, right away, like today…..She used to be my girl”.

Yes, if we had the chance, many of us would love to take back our old car that was our pride and joy! We would most likely treat her with more tender care this time. Sometimes guys are able to track down their old rides and are able to restore them to the way they once were. Maybe you would do things to it this time around that you did not have the time or funds to do when you owned her before. Truth is that with the internet, car clubs, car forums, and databases, you may find that it is easier to find your old dream car. If you are one of the lucky ones to get a second chance to own that “Old Flame”, make sure you treat her with more respect this time!

Joe (reprinted from: http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.co...old-flame.html )
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #2
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I wish I could find my 1972 Olds 442. I loved her for 20 years.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #3
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

I had a 1962 Pontiac Gran Prix that I bought from a GM engineer. It was low mileage and looked new for a 6 yr old car. Had a tri-power 389, and every conceivable option had been ordered. I sold it after getting drafted in 1970. Have never seen a car like it again.
Old August 16th   #4
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

I am one of the lucky ones. I had a 32 Ford coupe from 1974 until in a fit of utter stupidity I sold it in 1988. Completely lost track of it. Then I saw a photo on the internet in 2009 and it looked like my old car. I contacted the new owner and found out it was indeed my old car. Last year he decided to sell it and I was able to buy it back. Yeah, I will treat her better this time and won't let her go again. Its kind of like divorcing your wife only to find out later on you still loved her and want her back......well, maybe not in that case....☺
Old August 18th   #5
VetteNut
VetteNut
has no status.

My first car was a 62 Chevy Impala and my last car before getting married was a 69 Firebird. The Impala I drove throughout high school and the Firebird my first few years of military service. They were short relationships, but missed just the same.
VetteNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th   #6
jeffyt
jeffyt
Ready to cruise.

1969 Mustang Coupe, 302, 351 heads, cam, Holly double pumper, rally wheels, hood scoop,... should have never sold her. She showed up a few years later at my frat house and was "dating" one of my brothers. He could not believe that she and I had a relationship before them until I detailed a few things under her hood. I need to call that guy and find out what happened to her...
jeffyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th   #7
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Thanks to those who have shared their "Old Flame" story! Keep em coming!!
Old August 19th   #8
BamaNC13
BamaNC13
has no status.

My first car was a 1966 Impala SS, 327, 4 speed, with all the factory gauges and the unique thing was it had climate control A/C. I would love to have it back.
BamaNC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th   #9
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Its funny to me that no matter how bad we may have not liked these old cars at times (or even cursed them).......we all now say we wish we had them back!!
Old August 19th   #10
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
Its funny to me that no matter how bad we may have not liked these old cars at times (or even cursed them).......we all now say we wish we had them back!!
Well, despite all of the faults of the old cars, they had something you just can't find anymore in a newer vehicle.....class.
You have to spend a fortune now to get a new car that is classy, most are just simple transportation.
Old August 19th   #11
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Guess I better reveal mine. There were two. The first was a 1940 Ford coupe, bought and paid for by a newspaper route around 1956. The second was a 1965 Mustang coupe, bought new right out college. I still remember installing a new (junkyard) transmission in the '40, with snow everywhere except under the car. That job was a pain with the torque-tube type drivetrain. Man, my hands hurt when they thawed out. But I would do it again for that car, a sweet running flathead V8.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th   #12
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Nice stuff!!
Old August 21st   #13
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

i would`nt swap growing up in any era for the era i grew up in .. in the late 60`s i was in my mid teens .. already a car freak cause of my older brothers having mustangs and one with a 4 speed 428 galixie ltd .. and all their friends driving new road runners and 396 chevelles to high school ..one fellow dating one of my sisters drove a 69 428 cobra jet torino .. when i did get a car it was a hand me down 64 ford with a 406 4 speed and a 6 pack .. even in 1974 it was an old car yet only 10 years old ....had another 64 ford later with a 428 in it ..got a 69 super bee 440 six pac for 300 bucks in 1975 .. got a 69 r code mach one in 1976 for 250 bucks .. did`nt care that there was a gas shortage going on .. i worked at a junk yard and getting gas from the wrecked cars was a benifit .. if that did`nt work i lived within walking distance of 2 churches and always had my handy siphon hose a gas can readily availabe .. never taking more than a gallon or so from a few cars so not to cause any suspition
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #14
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Nice lineup of cars, HOSS429. Any of them would be welcome in my garage. Particularly liked those Torino CJ's, but never had one. Engine from one would be nice in my 93 F150 Flareside.
Old August 23rd   #15
Jack Tar
Jack Tar
is being a sailor
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

1970 Chevelle Malibu bought in 1990 when in turned 16 for $100 and drove it home. I drove that car and loved on as much as my dish washer job at Quince's could afford. I was planning on changing that master cylinder and wheel cylinders after cashing my next paycheck. Well, rolled it over on a dirt road because as I was slowing down one wheel grabbed harder than the others and twisted me in the road. Sold it for $100 and the Keystone wheels off of the back for $50. The way I saw it I was $50 ahead. Now you can't sniff one for $100.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd   #16
Thames59
Thames59
has no status.

First love was a 57 Studebaker Silver Hawk. I gave $15 for it. Also had a 55 Chevy for several years that was special to me. Ahh, memories.
Old August 26th   #17
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

The "Good Ol Days" right?? Love it!!
Old August 26th   #18
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames59 View Post
First love was a 57 Studebaker Silver Hawk. I gave $15 for it. Also had a 55 Chevy for several years that was special to me. Ahh, memories.
The Tool Room Manager at the first real job I had out of high school had one of those Silver Hawks, a beauty and a runner. We all lusted over it, but had enough sense to not get too close. Seems like he also had an Avanti, but I don't recall seeing it often. Studebaker was ahead of its time.
Old September 4th   #19
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

Two old flames that I wish I still had: my first car, a 1986 Dodge Conquest TSi wide body, and my second car, a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Turbo. Yeah, I was into DSM at the time, when my dad was working for Chrysler. The Conquest would just be cool to have, and the Talon would make for a great autocross/rallycross car.

Last edited by TGR 96; September 4th at 02:07 PM.
TGR 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th   #20
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR 96 View Post
Two old flames that I wish I still had: my first car, a 1986 Dodge Conquest TSi wide body, and my second car, a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Turbo. Yeah, I was into DSM at the time, when my dad was working for Chrysler. The Conquest would just be cool to have, and the Talon would make for a great autocross/rallycross car.
Cool