Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > In Memory Of...

In Memory Of... For all the enthusiasts we've known and loved that are no longer with us

Old November 30th   #1
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to cruel1hemi
RIP Paul Walker

It is being reported all over the net that Paul Walker died today in a car crash. Not sure it is real or a hoax, but if it is real, today is a sad day in the movie world.

RIP Paul Walker

Member of the Board of Directors - HemiTruckClub.com
cruel1hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

My friend Mona who was in Fast 5 just confirmed it along with all sort of other media. He has passed away.

He was only 40 and was a passenger in a beautiful red Porsche Carrera GT. And there wasn't much left of the car or the two bodies after the collision with a pole. His friend Roger was driving the car and also passed away.
http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/109902/

The Carrera GT before the accident

Taken minutes before the crash

The last picture taken of Paul Walker alive.

According to the article in the link above, he was simply taking a spin with a friend at a local charity meet, something we all do at one point or another with a fellow enthusiast. Something went wrong along the way, and a crash that started with a fire had them trapped and their friends couldn't get them out. Friends that were with him today posted on his Facebook page:
"I was with Paul today. He was surrounded by friends, talking about cars, seeing hundreds of gifts brought for kids to give out by charity. The news is terribly sad. The world lost an angel and Heaven gained one."

I did some reasearch to find out exactly what happened in this tragic accident. Paul was attending a monthly car meet like our very own cars and coffee early Saturday morning at a performance shop called Always Evolving. This morning they were collecting toys to help with this charity toy drive:

He was most probably on Thanksgiving break from filming in Atlanta, GA, which is/was scheduled to resume this upcoming week. Roger, who was the driver of the Carrera GT, was no stranger to the car. He lists it as one of his favorite cars to drive and lists his driving and racing experience on the Always Evolving homepage. Roger is the CEO of Always Evolving. And he and Paul are no strangers to racing together as noted on the Race Team roster.

I looked at the area in which the car crashed on google maps like someone else did in the comments on the Jalopnik article. There's a sharp 90 degree bend at the end of the road right down from the shop. It looks like a really fun corner to drift because of the extra pavement in the corner. The telephone pole they hit was right down the street on the straight. I personlly think they were having fun and just lost it, and this could have happened to any of us.

Paul was most likely literally in the midst of filming scenes for Fast and Furious 7, and we're not sure what's going to happen with the film.

From everything that I've been told about him from people who have met him, he was as normal a guy as you could meet and very grounded. He was also as much a car enthusiast as any of us, enjoying driving GTRs in Japan when given the opportunity as well as checking out all the cars on the set of Fast 5 in Atlanta just as any of us would at a car meet or car show. I really hate that I never got to meet him as I was really looking forward to it.

It always hurts to lose a fellow enthusiast, and even moreso for someone who helped bring us joy--even if it was in the form of cheesy script lines that we have regurgitated in jest over the years.

RIP Paul Walker. I hope you're in car heaven now. Deepest condolences to your daughter, loved ones, and family.

RIP Roger and deepest condolences to Roger's family and everyone at Always Evolving.

Last edited by Samir; December 3rd at 10:45 AM. Reason: additional information
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st   #3
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Would yall be up for a remembrance cruise for both Paul and Roger? They passed away doing what they love, enjoying cars. I think it'd be nice if a community of car enthusiasts can do this in their memory.
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd   #4
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

I would guess that something broke on the car. Both of these guys are too good of drivers for it to be pilot error. The national news is having a ball beating up on us after this tragedy. I bet insurance will go up on all fast cars..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd   #5
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginia View Post
Would yall be up for a remembrance cruise for both Paul and Roger? They passed away doing what they love, enjoying cars. I think it'd be nice if a community of car enthusiasts can do this in their memory.
How about a cruise-in? Have a entry fee/donation. If you donate you get a special remembrance cruise in flyer (someone would need to create one). Then have one of us or HCS staff send the donation to Paul Walker's Charity "Reach Out Worldwide from Huntsville Car Scene in memory of Paul Walker.

Just a thought.

Old December 3rd   #6
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Send a message via AIM to protek Send a message via Skype™ to protek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruel1hemi View Post
How about a cruise-in? Have a entry fee/donation. If you donate you get a special remembrance cruise in flyer (someone would need to create one). Then have one of us or HCS staff send the donation to Paul Walker's Charity "Reach Out Worldwide from Huntsville Car Scene in memory of Paul Walker.

Just a thought.
My friend Josh and I are working on getting something like this set up currently if anyone wants to help out.
protek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The site of the crash has become a makeshift memorial. I've thought about getting a card that we can all sign and send to his designated agent. "From our car family to yours with heavy hearts and deepest condolences."
Old December 3rd   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

We tried to get in touch with Reach Out Worldwide when we saw on Leno that he said he was coming to Tuscaloosa after our tornados. We had the Fast5 Corvette here in Huntsville and could have brought it down there to bring Fast5 to all those who missed it due to power outages and their homes being destroyed.

Unfortunately, we never got a response through either ROW or through our Universal connections. I think Paul would have been all about it had he known about it. I'm trying to get in touch with who I can to see what we can do.
Old December 3rd   #9
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer View Post
I would guess that something broke on the car. Both of these guys are too good of drivers for it to be pilot error. The national news is having a ball beating up on us after this tragedy. I bet insurance will go up on all fast cars..
Man even the best of drivers occassionally have one get away from them. Its a super sad accident for all parties involved, but I think he lost control and crashed.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #10
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Man even the best of drivers occassionally have one get away from them. Its a super sad accident for all parties involved, but I think he lost control and crashed.
This.

Those cars must be prone to catching fire because I know a friend of mine took a picture of one at Mid-Ohio Motorsports park that was burnt up as well a few years ago.
Old December 3rd   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Those cars must be prone to catching fire because I know a friend of mine took a picture of one at Mid-Ohio Motorsports park that was burnt up as well a few years ago.
There's a lot of metals like Magnesium in the chassis that don't exactly behave well in fire.
Old December 3rd   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I'm trying to get in touch with who I can to see what we can do.
The official responses are to donate to ROWW, and that can be done online.
Old December 5th   #13
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Although I have never had the pleasure of driving/riding in one, I have read and heard that those Carrera GTs are a handful to drive, even for an experienced driver.

RIP Paul and Roger
Old December 5th   #14
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
There's a lot of metals like Magnesium in the chassis that don't exactly behave well in fire.
Not even that. They just weren't safe cars.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1536644

Quote:
Internet pioneer Corey Rudl died in the passenger seat of the same model year vehicle in 2005, and Porsche eventually paid six figures toward a settlement won by Rudl’s widow.

Porsche engineers did not equip the vehicle with a computerized safety feature known as electronic stability control, and Rudl’s passenger airbag never deployed, lawyer Craig McClellan told the Daily News Tuesday.

Electronic safety control is a computerized technology that improves a vehicle’s stability by detecting a loss of traction or control and immediately correcting it; it is now required in all new cars in the U.S.

McClellan, who represented Rudl’s widow, said Porsche agreed to pay about 9% of the $4.5 million settlement.

“They stopped selling this car in the U.S. because it wasn’t able to meet U.S. safety standards,” the lawyer said. “It certainly would have been good to recall and retrofit the cars (with stability control), but they had so few sold in the U.S., they probably just decided they wouldn’t bother with it.”

McClellan said Porsche engineers who were deposed in Germany for the Rudl case said they intentionally excluded the company’s Porsche Stability Management (PSM) technology when they designed the 2005 Carrera GT.

“One engineer said customers wouldn’t want it, another said the car had too much vibration for it to work well,” McClellan said.

He said the car has a “black box” that should be able to reveal the speed the car was traveling prior to the crash, whether the driver was accelerating or trying to apply the brakes and whether the car’s airbags worked properly.

“It’s a black box located in the tunnel by the transmission, so there shouldn’t be a problem with it surviving the collision,” McClellan said. “It has a proprietary encryption, so I imagine investigators will have to get some special help and equipment to be able to download and interpret the results. It might take some time.”

It wasn’t clear how much Rodas knew about the car’s history before Saturday, including whether he was aware of a famous incident involving late-night television host Jay Leno.

Leno, an avid car enthusiast, lost control of a stock Porsche Carrera GT after clocking 182 mph and spun around five times at Talladega Superspeedway in 2005.

Leno laughed off the incident at the time, telling reporters: “NBC thinks I’m at the go-kart track in Malibu!”

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Not even that. They just weren't safe cars.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1536644
I wouldn't call the Carrera GT not safe. Does a racecar for the street need nannies? If it's a federal mandate, okay sure, they should have had it. But if it was excluded from such a requirement and was still given DOT and FMVSS approval to be street legal, then, like all cars, it is up to the driver to maintain control.

As you guys probably know, we have a Carrera GT in town. I've talked to the only valet that's allowed to park the car, and I've discussed at length with my friend Clint who was the lead technician at our Porsche dealer on the particulars of driving this super car on a daily basis.

There's a couple of issues to be aware of when owning one of these. One, is simply the battery. If it dies, you have to remove the engine to get to it. The second is the clutch. It's a racing clutch, period. There's no slipping it, and if you do, you'll wear it out fast. The wheels are held on by a single lug that has a torque spec of 450 ft-lbs. This is higher than the torque spec than the axle nuts on a regular car.

This is a 2005 model 'race car for the streets'. It's as raw as it gets.

But after I've watched two security videos showing what happened to the trees that were hit, I'm fully convinced that there was a major mechanical failure. They were driving a mild right hand sweeper and the car immediately dove left, slammed into a pole and tree and then dove right to hit the one where it finally rested. IMO something broke in the steering, suspension, or drivetrain that caused this to happen. They weren't doing anything but taking a mild spin in a car of this caliber.

While the offical word is that speed might be a factor in the crash, I don't agree. I've driven a 2005 911 turbo for a weekend, and the first time I drove it thinking I was creeping along at the 35mph posted speed limit, I was actually going 85mph. Well made sports cars allow the driver to be comfortable at speeds he or she may not normally approach. My Boxster regularly has me 10 above the posted speed limit if I go off of 'feel' to judge my speed--and this is the entry level Porsche. 90-100mph in the Carrera GT must feel like 40-45mph (which was the posted speed limit), if not slower.
Old December 8th   #16
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
My friend Josh and I are working on getting something like this set up currently if anyone wants to help out.
I'd definitely want to join in on this cruise. Do like what cruel1 said, and have people bring in donations and we send it to Paul's charity. If you need help, let me know
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I emailed cruel1 a unique idea (hopefully not too late) that Paul would have enjoyed and the people that knew him smile in rememberance. It's not the easiest thing to pull off, but nothing worthwhile ever is.
Old December 10th   #18
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

I got it Samir.

mind if i post the idea on here?