Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > What's New

What's New Links to all the event coverage as well as special announcements

Old December 3rd   #1
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Paul Walker and James Dean….Gone Too Soon!!

As I was reflecting this weekend about the very tragic death of another one of our Hollywood actors, I could not help but be reminded of another young actor who was taken from this earth too soon. The striking similarities between the deaths of these two young men were eerie and I thought the two needed to be compared.

These two California born actors were lost before they had achieved their greatest accomplishments, but they both lived life to the fullest and made such an impact in a short time.

Quick Facts:
·Age at time of death: James Dean 24 years old, Paul Walker 40 years old.
·Profession: Both Hollywood actors.
·Movie Career: James Dean was the star of only two films at the time and had just finished his third when he was killed. Dean made an impact on the teens of the 50’s and 60’s with his roles on film and his off screen allure. Paul Walker had been in many TV and movie rolls during his career, but gained the most success as the star of the very successful Fast and Furious movie series and was currently filming the 7th installment of this series. Walker had a large impact on the street racing and tuner scene of today’s youth.
·Hobby: Both Dean and Walker enjoyed driving race cars in their off time. Dean had already owned a few sports cars and had begun competing in the Palm Springs Road Races and also at Bakersfield. His final race was at Santa Barbra where he drove a 1955 Porsche Super Speedster and was running 4th when he had engine trouble. His racing career was halted by Warner Brothers until he had finished filming Giant, his next film at the time (It would be his last). Paul Walker also enjoyed weekend racing and had competed in the Redline Time Attack racing series with his BMW M3 E92. He also was a member of the AE Performance Race Team (Always Evolving race team owned by Roger Rodas).
·Car Wreck: James Dean was killed in a Porsche 550 Spyder and Paul Walker was killed in a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, both were exotic sports cars capable of extremely high speed and acceleration!

·Controversy: One big question in both deaths is whether speed was a factor. It has always been assumed that the wreck that killed Dean was due to high speed and/or his daredevil lifestyle; however recent evidence suggests that Dean was driving the car and was only traveling approx. 70mph. Prior investigations had suggested that Dean’s mechanic (Rolf Wutherich) was driving and that they were traveling in excess of 100mph. Dean and his mechanic were actually driving to a car race in Salinas, California and decided to drive the 550 Spyder instead of towing it. There is also a backstory of this Porsche 550 Spyder and the possible “curse” the car had. In the case of Walker’s wreck there is also questions about what caused the wreck…..was it speed, who was driving, was it a mechanical failure? If you have seen the crash photos it does seem that speed was most likely involved because the car was ripped up badly and then caught fire. Initial investigations into Walker’s accident say that the driver of the Carrera GT was Roger Rodas, who was a close personal friend and financial advisor. Roger was also an avid race car driver and owner/CEO of AE Performance Race Team.
It’s very odd that James Dean known for his “Rebel” type persona, and Walker known for his love of fast cars (on and off the screen) and that they both left this World in such a violent way-while in a sports car doing what they loved. Call it irony or fate; these two men will always live on through the big screen as we relive their glory days on film. But one thing is for sure……..they will forever be missed!

RIP: James Dean (Feb. 8, 1931 – Sep. 30, 1955)
RIP: Paul Walker (Sep. 12, 1973 – Nov. 30, 2013)

Last edited by Samir; December 5th at 12:11 AM. Reason: grammar
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think the biggest thing that seems to have gripped us as enthusiasts as a community is that Paul's death was a death of someone kindred, another enthusiast. He didn't just play one on the big screen--he was always one--before he ever hit the big screen.

The stories of enthusiasts that met Paul are seemingly endless. From one about how Paul ran up to a M3 owner waiting outside a hotel for his friend and started asking about his M3, to the guy who met Paul at a Starbucks and Paul encouraged him to follow his dream of owning a Skyline. Paul was an enthusiast whose effect on the enthusiast community at large was pretty profound.

The Fast and Furious series of movies did something that hasn't happened in the history of enthusiasts--it united everyone. For better or worse, every enthusiast in every shape and form knows these movies. And while we may have had strong opinions on the movies, one thing is obvious in these moments after his death--we enthusiasts have lost one of the most prominent members of our worldwide community.
Old December 5th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The tribute video created by the Fast and Furious franchise itself in Paul's memory:
Old December 6th   #4
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Nice

Last edited by slowjoe24; December 6th at 11:30 AM.
Old December 6th   #5
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Excellent tribute video.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th   #6
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Yes it was
Old December 8th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I wonder how many fan-made tribute videos are out there?

Last edited by Samir; December 8th at 08:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th   #8
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

A bunch................cause he was loved loved by his fans!!! And such a great guy in real life I'd almost forgot about him helping in Tuscaloosa after the tornado's ripped through there a couple of years ago.............and he wanted NO media or TV coverage! Just wanted to help!!
Old December 9th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
A bunch................cause he was loved loved by his fans!!!
Any good ones to show us? I ran across one that had a lot of behind the scenes footage and such, but it wasn't exactly the best edit or work safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
And such a great guy in real life I'd almost forgot about him helping in Tuscaloosa after the tornado's ripped through there a couple of years ago.............and he wanted NO media or TV coverage! Just wanted to help!!
That's what I remember most about him. He was on Leno the night before/after Fast 5 came out. My buddy Jason also saw the broadcast and we almost called each other the exact same second--"are you thinking what I am?" Our idea was to take the Fast 5 Corvette down to Tuscaloosa and Paul could rebuild some spirits by putting some smiles back on faces who never got to see the movie on premiere night. Physical rebuilding and cleaning is important, but rebuilding the spirit is just as important--sometimes even moreso. Jason tried to contact his people via Universal while I tried via ROWW. Unfortunately, neither one of us got a reply.

I was going to tell him about this when I met him on Fast 7. Mona tells me he would've probably been all about the idea--he was that type of guy--gig hearted for people and cars--just like us.
Old December 12th   #10
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Wonder how long Fast and Furious 7 will be delayed???
Old December 12th   #11
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

Dang, that video made me choke up a little bit. Brought back a lot of memories. R.I.P. Paul (and Roger)
Old December 13th   #12
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Yep......it was a good one!!