Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > What's New

What's New Links to all the event coverage as well as special announcements

Old January 3rd   #1
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Father/Son project……do you have one?

There is just something about a father getting to share time with his son or daughter as they work on a car project together. It’s an age old story of a dad who finds an old car that he wants to purchase and restore back to its original condition or hot-rod it to his liking. After buying it he decides it would be a great way to work on it with his son and spend quality time as he teaches him about the workings of an automobile. Now if you are like me your ability to do the restorations and/or modifications yourself may be limited, but it can still be fun to plan and strategize the project together. There are so many things that can be decided on together like tires, wheels, paint, engine work, gears, etc. When you work on these things together your son will begin to take ownership in the project. He may even decide he wants to drive it when you complete the work.

(Photo courtesy of Getty images)

It seems that time is our most valuable procession these days and everything is competing for it! No matter how hard we try, there is still only 24 hours in a day and most of our weekends are filled to the max with other tasks and duties. I’ve heard it said that the only thing you will wish you could have changed when you are old is to have spent more time with family and I am already old enough to agree with that. It’s never too late to get started, so what are you waiting on??

A good project car or truck can also be a wise investment if you choose the correct vehicle and are willing to fix it up for the purpose of reselling it for profit. Craigslist and e-bay are full of vehicles that can be turned or “flipped” for a decent profit if you find one that doesn’t have too many issues. Now keep in mind that those Saturday morning shows make it look easy, but you must be willing to take a gamble sometimes. I guess the bottom line is win or lose, if you are spending more time with your son or daughter, it’s a success!

I currently have a car project (Mustang GT) and my son has had many good ideas and suggestions for modifications/upgrades……..I just hope when we are finished he’s not going to want to take it away from me!

This story and comments can also be viewed at:
http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.co...-have-one.html
Thanks, Joe

Last edited by slowjoe24; January 3rd at 11:13 AM.
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th   #2
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

Its a very good idear to spend time with your children. Not only cars but school plays, ball games and such. Because if you don't one day soon you will be sitting in the old folks home with oatmeal dripping off your chin on to your chest and no one will come to visit with you. My Dad spend a lot of time with me on car projects and I will never forget those GOOD times.. Bobby..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th   #3
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Very good point......we will never regret spending quality time with them! And don't forget for us older guys to still spend time with our dads.....my dad is 67 now!
Old January 4th   #4
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

Well I grew up in a body shop. Me and my dad started with his 66 Charger and once I got my 69 dart we built it. Now I'm grown "somewhat" and we still work on the cars. We still love to show and race the cars. Now that I have kids we enjoy watching them play softball "both girls". It was a lot of fun this year getting to play softball with my oldest daughter.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th   #5
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

I hope a lot of people take your advise and do this. My son and I have been working on rebuilding an old Fairlane when we can. And don't forget the girls either. My daughter and I built her 69 Camaro from the ground up and she kept it many years until it became so valuable that she sold it. All my kids are car nuts to one extent or the other. Its a great pastime for family members to share together.
Old January 4th   #6
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Thanks.......great stuff keep em coming!!
Old January 5th   #7
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
Very good point......we will never regret spending quality time with them! And don't forget for us older guys to still spend time with our dads.....my dad is 67 now!
You say you are a older guy and I am older than your dad. Now you make me feel like I am real old....
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th   #8
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer View Post
You say you are a older guy and I am older than your dad. Now you make me feel like I am real old....
Don't worry Bobby, 67 ain't old. Its middle aged.........

if you live to be 134.
Old January 5th   #9
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

True......but at 44 I feel old some days!!!
Old January 5th   #10
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
True......but at 44 I feel old some days!!!
At 74 you will feel old more often. The past Oct and Nov were rough for me, but I am happy I can still go to Nashville to assist my son with his '55 pickup. Sometimes he comes here to help me with mine. Our first project together was a '70 Chevelle, a true SS but with a "mongrel" 402 BB of uncertain origins. But it built up well, ran great, and created many good memories.

Last edited by ChuckM; January 5th at 08:46 PM.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th   #11
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

This is something that my dad and I have done for years and will continue to do for years to come. We don't spend as much time working with each other as we used to but from time to time we do collaborate on projects. It made me pretty proud over Christmas when we we're working on some stuff and I just flew right in and he made the comment that I've turned into quite the mechanic. It's neat to think that with all of his years experience I can still teach him things, mainly how to research things online. Hopefully once we get done with the Land Cruiser he's building we'll finally get started on our biggest and baddest project yet, my 1969 Camaro. It's been sitting in the corner for about 7 years waiting on me to get the funds aside to get rolling but hopefully I'm finally at the point where we can get started and I'm very much looking forward to it. It should make for a fun 2-3 year build.
Old January 6th   #12
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Very cool man!!! Love hearing these stories.........keep digging on the 69 Chevy!!
Old January 6th   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

It's slowly but surely coming together. Just need to paint the frame and install all the new trim and glass. Should be ready to sell by spring.

Last edited by EvilZ; January 6th at 03:52 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th   #14
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Wow!!!!! Love it man!
Old January 6th   #15
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

That is super nice, but I want to see that '69 Camaro!
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th   #16
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

What motor do you plan to use in the camaro?
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th   #17
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
What motor do you plan to use in the camaro?
I'm all over the map at this point. I've pretty much made up my mind on the body and suspension so that should keep me busy for a while.

It'll either be a big ci nitrous car (600+ ci) or a lsx turbo car. The goal is to make the car 100% streetable and run mid 5's in a 1/8th and mid 8's in a 1/4. I plan on hitting a few stops on drag week to get a better idea of what set up I want to run. I know this seems like a crazy idea but we already have a few cars in the area that are capable of doing this so I don't think it's to far fetched.
Old January 7th   #18
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I'm all over the map at this point. I've pretty much made up my mind on the body and suspension so that should keep me busy for a while.

It'll either be a big ci nitrous car (600+ ci) or a lsx turbo car. The goal is to make the car 100% streetable and run mid 5's in a 1/8th and mid 8's in a 1/4. I plan on hitting a few stops on drag week to get a better idea of what set up I want to run. I know this seems like a crazy idea but we already have a few cars in the area that are capable of doing this so I don't think it's to far fetched.
If you haven't already been, you should go to LS fest in Bowling Green. The street car challenge up there is amazing. They had a ton of camaros' with all different types of setups. Within the next few years I would like to have a car to compete in that. That is by far the best car even I have ever went to.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I'm going to try my best to make it this year. My reason for want to focus on Drag Week vs. LS Fest is you'll have more diversity on Drag Week.
Old January 9th   #20
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Anybody else got projects to share???