Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 25th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Is Street Racing the Problem?

Or is it something else? This upcoming year will probably answer that question.

My opinion is that this is not a problem, but a recreation without a proper outlet.

If there were no soccer fields, wouldn't kids run all over the place trying to play? Wouldn't they be in neighborhood streets, in people's yards, and anywhere they could find a nice field? Wouldn't the hardcore jump fences and play in fields illegally?

What about baseball? Without those fields, the problems of broken windows and baseballs landing in all sorts of odd places would be back again.

And what about ice skating? In freezing weather, all sorts of people would be dumping water onto parking lots and other pavement just to have something to skate on.

So just as the local government has made a civic venue for each of these sports, they need to make a civic venue for motorsports. It's a big and growing hobby and I think it would solve a lot of the problems on the street.

So what do you think? How can a solution be made where everyone can win? (Those type of solutions last forever.)
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th   #2
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 743
Samir i think your right. Also I dont see anything wrong with racing on the street. At the spots we race at, I think it is a pretty safe environment, as safe as street racing is going to get.
__________________
Justin
2009 Jeep 4 door JK on 37's
2004 KTM 200sx
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #3
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 409
If you want to race....take it to the track. We have an 1/8th mile track that will let anyone run as many passes as they like for $10. Line up for all the grudge matches you need. It's cheap, it's safe, and my wife and kids aren't going to pull out in front of you.

If you're into road racing, like I am, check out NASA. It's not free, but if you really want to learn how to push your car (or yourself) to the limits on some of the best tracks in the Southeast, check it out. Fun stuff indeed.

Street Racing is for Punks. Be smart, be mature, and take it to the track. Please.
MarkDorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #4
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
Street Racing is for Punks. Be smart, be mature, and take it to the track. Please.
I totally resent that comment . What if I said road racing is just for people who can't win a straight-line race, so they want to turn corners to slow down the fast cars?

Sure, there are MANY "punks" that street race, but I don't really think it's fair to make a comment like that until you see how DESERTED the roads we race on are. The spot we were at Friday night has LITERALLY NO TRAFFIC, WHATSOEVER. Not a few cars, not "A" car, NONE! And what are the chances of your wife and kids pulling out in front of us on a road that dead ends, in the middle of the night?

For those that race down the parkway, or through town, sure, your comment is dead-nuts accurate, but most of us have better sense.

Now TAKE IT BACK!
Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #5
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 409
But we have a very nice facility, with lights, timers, spectator bleachers, ambulance, hotdogs, the whole ball of wax. Why in the world would you not just use that for your track? I don't get it. It's $10.
MarkDorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #6
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
I know all about the track, I won the Pro Bracket track championship there this past season. They are not open right now, so what do I do then?

They aren't open any nights Sunday thru Tuhursday.

What do we do then?

Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
But we have a very nice facility, with lights, timers, spectator bleachers, ambulance, hotdogs, the whole ball of wax. Why in the world would you not just use that for your track? I don't get it. It's $10.
From what I understand, it's more than that now. I haven't been in a while, but I know many people don't go anymore because of the cost. Why spend $10 there, $5 in gas and food there to just get in a few runs and finish up by 2am? It wasn't bad when it was just $5. That was more reasonable. And it's only an 1/8th.

Besides, I've seen many more dangerous things at the track than I've ever seen on the street. Not to say there haven't been dangerous events on the street, I've just never seen any (probably because I won't stay in those environments).

But I think we've gone a bit off track from my point. My point is that the only reason there is more street racing is because the only track is somehow not adequate. It would be like having only one baseball park or soccer field in Huntsville. If it was the best and suited everyone's needs, then there is no need to go anywhere else.

But there is demand for more venues for other sports, and that's why we have the stadium, soccer fields, and other sports venues. Because the city provides facilities for these sports. Motor sports should not be any different. And with the increase in street racing, maybe the solution is not a task force to throw everyone in jail, but a venue that fits the needs of the citizens better to legitimately enjoy their sport. That's the whole arguement behind why we need a Motorsports Park here.

And the funny thing is that this arguement has been around for many years. I've read historical documents with the same arguement. Nothing has changed. The car scene here has only gotten larger. And I think it is the government's responsibility to address it not simply as a law enforcment issue.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
I know all about the track, I won the Pro Bracket track championship there this past season. They are not open right now, so what do I do then?

They aren't open any nights Sunday thru Tuhursday.

What do we do then?

Taco
Even with the weather bad, I'm sure that if George felt there was enough revenue to open the track even if it was not gripping right, he would. But I don't really see how he can't pack the place at $5 run or watch. I've been out there in a jacket before, lol.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #9
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
You're exactly right Samir, if George thinks there is money to be made, the gates will open. I would go in the cold, but I wouldn't subject my wife and son to that, and I don't want to go without them. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way.

The rule at the track has been for a few years now that if it is not going to reach 50 degrees, they don't open. I think that's a good rule, because at most, we're gonna lose 4-6 weekends out of the whole year. But what if somebody wants to race on wednesday night, or right now, on friday or saturday nights??? They have to "wait till the track's open"... what if they have to work on sundays, or have family or personal obligations on sunday?

They can't race. I seriously doubt there's any way a MoSport park will be open through the week, all hours of the day? So is that really gonna help the street racing problem?

Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #10
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
BTW, I am NOT against a new, up-to-date, state-of-the-art motorsports facility by any means, I would love to see one in our area. I just don't really think it's gonna help the street racing problem much, if any!

Didn't want to be misunderstood there!
Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
You're exactly right Samir, if George thinks there is money to be made, the gates will open. I would go in the cold, but I wouldn't subject my wife and son to that, and I don't want to go without them. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way.

The rule at the track has been for a few years now that if it is not going to reach 50 degrees, they don't open. I think that's a good rule, because at most, we're gonna lose 4-6 weekends out of the whole year. But what if somebody wants to race on wednesday night, or right now, on friday or saturday nights??? They have to "wait till the track's open"... what if they have to work on sundays, or have family or personal obligations on sunday?

They can't race. I seriously doubt there's any way a MoSport park will be open through the week, all hours of the day? So is that really gonna help the street racing problem?

Taco
You bring up a good point. But I think the way a lot of facilities have addressed such an issue is through membership. There are tracks that are completely private "clubs" (for lack of a better word) where you pay a fee for a whole year of usage on your terms.

If you see that it's a beautiful day today, and want to skip work and take a few passes and do a few laps, you can as a club member.

Now, I'm not sure if facilities like that are open 24x7, but nothing really happens too early in the day in the car world (except car shows) so shifting business hours from the normal 9a-10p to 12p-2a shouldn't be that bad of a problem.

Besides, if the city would be involved in this, it's just the timing of citizens. The observatory isn't open at noon because people want to look at the stars at night. In the past, they've had exhibitions that started at midnight.

And I'm glad you brought up the points you did. We've got to look at all aspects of this idea to make it solid enough to work.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #12
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
That's what this is all about, finding safer, more practical solutions.

I would love to "not have to" street race anymore. I don't particularly like being there and the risks involved. Some people thrive on the thrill of something illegal, and those people will always street race.

I know there are others like me out there, though. You are on to a great idea. I don't see what would be so bad about the city building/helping to build/being somehow associated with the building of, at the very least, a 4-Lane width, 3/4 mile long strip of asphalt with center divider stripes and a starting line and finish line, with a few good lights and a parking area. The parking area wouldn't even have to be paved, IMHO.

Again, that's at the very least. I would really like to see something much more useful than that, but that would have to effectively cut down the street racing going on.

Any thoughts?
Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
That's what this is all about, finding safer, more practical solutions.

I would love to "not have to" street race anymore. I don't particularly like being there and the risks involved. Some people thrive on the thrill of something illegal, and those people will always street race.

I know there are others like me out there, though. You are on to a great idea. I don't see what would be so bad about the city building/helping to build/being somehow associated with the building of, at the very least, a 4-Lane width, 3/4 mile long strip of asphalt with center divider stripes and a starting line and finish line, with a few good lights and a parking area. The parking area wouldn't even have to be paved, IMHO.

Again, that's at the very least. I would really like to see something much more useful than that, but that would have to effectively cut down the street racing going on.

Any thoughts?
Taco
Yeah, that's a lot of what I'm thinking of too. But to make it feasible, it has to be financially viable. To do that, it needs to have other uses. That's why I think a full 1/4 would be great because you could run NHRA sanctioned events. This was actually done in the past with the old airport when it was still an airport. The person that was telling me the story even talked about how Elvis came down to see the drags. Those type of days would be good to see again.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #14
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Yeah, I would definitely say having a place with more than one use would make it much more likely to happen. My idea was purely hypothetical.

I wonder how it would go if a private individual with the land and a little money built a small street-based facility, instead of a fully functional drag strip, on their property? Could the fuzz still harrass you if you had permission to be racing/loitering/whatever on said property?

The reason I bring this up is that there are several farmers in rural limestone county that are very big into drag racing, a couple still taking to the streets in their 500/600/700 horsepower "heads up" cars. I think there would be a possibility of one of these guys giving up a few acres and a few dollars to be able to race without having to go to the track and without the police harrassing them.

Thoughts on that?
Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
Yeah, I would definitely say having a place with more than one use would make it much more likely to happen. My idea was purely hypothetical.

I wonder how it would go if a private individual with the land and a little money built a small street-based facility, instead of a fully functional drag strip, on their property? Could the fuzz still harrass you if you had permission to be racing/loitering/whatever on said property?

The reason I bring this up is that there are several farmers in rural limestone county that are very big into drag racing, a couple still taking to the streets in their 500/600/700 horsepower "heads up" cars. I think there would be a possibility of one of these guys giving up a few acres and a few dollars to be able to race without having to go to the track and without the police harrassing them.

Thoughts on that?
Taco
Very easily can be done and probably wouldn't have any legal ramifications as long as it isn't a public road.

But the big problem with this is liability. It would be very easy for someone to sue if there was some sort of problem and with no insurance to back an event, and the risk would all be on that one individual. This is the main reason why something like this isn't done.

I know I've thought of doing it.

Besides, this still doesn't address the problems that a lot of the car clubs are facing of not having a place to really "drive" without having to do to another city.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #16
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Don't you sign away your right to hold the track liable for any injuries or damages when you go in?

Why not do something like that?

Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
Don't you sign away your right to hold the track liable for any injuries or damages when you go in?

Why not do something like that?

Taco
Technically you do, but those don't really stand up in court when the guy sueing has a good lawyer.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #18
Taco
Taco
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Figures, F#@%ing Lawyers!

Taco
Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
Figures, F#@%ing Lawyers!

Taco
Tell me about it!
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #20
neonphenom3
neonphenom3
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
I'm gonna make my introduction to this board by saying this....For any other major sport out there, there's a FREE park that you can go to and engage in that activity. The 1/8 track in Huntsville is overkill for the basic stock car racing that is done on the streets. If they alotted a strip in an area and set it up so that it maximized saftey then I would prove successful for the streetracers. It won't take away from the revenue generated by the track cause that where you receive times and compete in brackets and such. I don't care what penalties are imposed, you won't stop streetracing so the city government might as well help organize and contain it. And no...Racing at the track doesn't make you anymore of a man that anyone that streetraces. To be technical, if you ain't gettin paid for it, you're wastin' your money at the track anyway....Join the NASCAR circuit if you wanna be a REAL racer, leave those bull$hit comments at home.
neonphenom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huntsville Dragway vs. Michelle Pavlik Taco General Discussions 96 May 1st 04:12 PM
Xtreme Customs Racing 94civicex Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage 10 February 20th 01:16 PM
Target Parking Lot Hangout XenoN Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage 35 December 20th 12:34 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2012, Huntsville Car Scene
Terms of Service