Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old May 18th   #1
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

Non car people judging car shows

I had the pleasure of attending the AACA show at the depot. Huntsville own Mayor Battle was attending . He made what I think was a bad choice for the Mayor award. The mustang that was awarded the trophy was a nice car... But I think the Keller auto that was Manufactured here in Huntsville Alabama would have made a much better choice.. Only 3 exist in the world and this car was done to perfect standards. Wake up Mayor this is a Huntsville car.. The man who has this one is restoring number 3 the number 2 car is owned by Lance and Vance George. Thank You for letting me rant.. Bobby..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th   #2
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Its the MAYOR'S CHOICE....as in his choice of what car he liked best. I once saw a riced out v6 mustang win a national mustang show. You're not going to agree with every winner, but thats part of it.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Its the MAYOR'S CHOICE....as in his choice of what car he liked best. I once saw a riced out v6 mustang win a national mustang show. You're not going to agree with every winner, but thats part of it.
Bingo. This why I've never been a huge fan of judged car shows. At the end of the day your always going to have difference of opinion but that's part of it.
Old May 19th   #4
LittleBritishCars
LittleBritishCars
--- Certifiably Car Crazy

I was Chief Judge at this show again this year and as others have said, the Mayor doesn't "judge" any of the cars - he picks his favorite. If you start telling him which car he should pick then it no longer becomes "Mayor's Choice"

I agree the Keller is nice, unique and worthy of attention but it isn't the car the mayor choice

Bob
1981 Chevrolet Corvette
1982 Jaguar XJ6
1986 Jaguar XJ6
1992 VW Cabriolet
Daily Driver - 2011 Camaro SS 6 speed
LittleBritishCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer View Post
I had the pleasure of attending the AACA show at the depot. Huntsville own Mayor Battle was attending . He made what I think was a bad choice for the Mayor award. The mustang that was awarded the trophy was a nice car... But I think the Keller auto that was Manufactured here in Huntsville Alabama would have made a much better choice.. Only 3 exist in the world and this car was done to perfect standards. Wake up Mayor this is a Huntsville car.. The man who has this one is restoring number 3 the number 2 car is owned by Lance and Vance George. Thank You for letting me rant.. Bobby..
I have seen hundreds of really awesome cars go unnoticed over the years--it's just the nature of 'judging' if it's not done to some sort of rigorous standard. There actually was a car show judging standardization body out there like ISO, ANSI, etc., but I think they folded.

I think when people are invited to pick their favorite in a car show, it's really a wild card. Usually, they're not car people and have no idea what we look for as enthusiasts. But that's just the nature of regular people looking at a car versus enthusiasts. It's probably how a surgeon looks at a scar versus us as non-surgeons--a surgeon can look at a scar and tell you if it's 'right'. And we as enthusiasts can look at a car in the same way.

Personally, after seeing how Mayor Battle pushed through development plans to destroy autocrossing here in Huntsville, and hearing his other comments on the sport, I'm surprised he even gives two hoots about picking his favorite at a car show.
Old May 29th   #6
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I have seen hundreds of really awesome cars go unnoticed over the years--it's just the nature of 'judging' if it's not done to some sort of rigorous standard. There actually was a car show judging standardization body out there like ISO, ANSI, etc., but I think they folded.

I think when people are invited to pick their favorite in a car show, it's really a wild card. Usually, they're not car people and have no idea what we look for as enthusiasts. But that's just the nature of regular people looking at a car versus enthusiasts. It's probably how a surgeon looks at a scar versus us as non-surgeons--a surgeon can look at a scar and tell you if it's 'right'. And we as enthusiasts can look at a car in the same way.

Personally, after seeing how Mayor Battle pushed through development plans to destroy autocrossing here in Huntsville, and hearing his other comments on the sport, I'm surprised he even gives two hoots about picking his favorite at a car show.
photo opportunity . how ya doing my friend?
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
photo opportunity . how ya doing my friend?
Yep. I'm hanging in there. Helping my dad with his companies has taken over my life. I'm up at 5am and working until bedtime, trying to balance time with the wife and hear about her day. I understand now what you meant about marriage.

I hope to be out in August for some of the scene events like the Ardmore Show, but I have no clue what my schedule will really be right now.
Old May 29th   #8
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Make sure to make time for 3rd friday in decatur!!!
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
Make sure to make time for 3rd friday in decatur!!!
Of course! When I have time, I plan to hit every single event my feet will take me too.
Old May 30th   #10
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

As said about auto cross and the mayors attitude. I just thought he should think old Huntsville industry. Old Huntsville history and something that really has tie to Huntsville. I thought it would be a better political move.. BUT TODAY I was informed the mayor choice car is owned by a employee of the mayor. Now I understand his pick. Not very smart but HIS pick. Lets see NO cruise in as B A King tried to get for us. I was told one of his assistants stopped that one in its tracks. He said " Not the kind of people we need hanging around downtown" Also No auto Cross that many on the HCS worked on. No suprise No support for the Drag Strip or the Huntsville speedway round track.. Boy He sure knows how to get votes. Makes you wonder who is running against him next election. Thank You....
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think if the entire car scene voted against him in the next election, he'd see his chances to win almost reduced to zero. Just saying.