Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 10th   #1
MadPSIentist
MadPSIentist
has ALL THE STATUS.

Dream Garage Setup - Includes 3BR 2.5BA house

Hey everyone, been a while!

Sadly, working entirely too much has kept me from making it out to events and seeing many of you the last couple years. Now I have a new job opportunity with better work life balance and more fulfilling work, but it means moving across the country and leaving my house and the incredible garage/workshop I just finished behind. Thought it might be up the alley of someone in this community.

126 Brookslanding Drive, Huntsville

I built this house in the fall of 2011, with every intent of adding the detached garage shortly thereafter. I planned it in from the very beginning in excrutiating detail, even adjusting the septic system plan to allow clear access off the end of the driveway. Here's a quick rundown of the house.

2001 sqft, 3 bedrooms with master downstairs, large shower in master bath with dual independent controls and showerheads. Nice walk-in closet through master bath and separate linen/utility closet. Open living room, dining and kitchen with in-ceiling surround. Media closet in living room hides all components with IR remote repeater and automatic ventilation. 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are Jack and Jill sharing a full bath upstairs. One spare bedroom also has walk-in closet. Effectively the whole house is wired for CAT6 Ethernet and cable/DirecTV. Large bonus room upstairs (I've had an 8' pool table in it with plenty of room to spare), also with in-ceiling surround. Extended, half-covered back patio with grill pad, 50A 220 circuit (currently used for Jacuzzi), and more speakers!

Now for the juicy bits: Side entry attached garage is 20 deep x 22 wide. Utility sink for washing up and several extra outlets. Attic above. Huge driveway leading to detached garage (easily 10+ cars, visitors never have to street park). Detached garage/workshop is 24x24 with 100A electrical and sub breaker panel. Prewired for EVEN MORE in-ceiling speakers, 2 CAT6 Ethernet and 1 RG6 coax run from the media closet in the living room. The detached garage was laid out around a Dannmar MaxJax, although I never had the chance to install mine. The ceiling is vaulted 4/12, with a peak height of 12'. The door follows the ceiling pitch, so the lift could be used with the door open. By my math, with the lift set 1' toward the rear of the garage and the truck pulled in nose-first, a current model 4Runner (about the heaviest thing a MaxJax can lift anyway) could be lifted to full height and never touch the ceiling. The door would have to be closed in that case, but for anything smaller it could remain open. Door is currently manual but has provisions for a LiftMaster/Chamberlain jack-shaft style opener. The expansion joints in the floor were cut asymmetrical to allow plenty of clearance for 2 MaxJax anchoring locations: one in the right bay to retain parking in the left, one centered for better 360deg access. Fully insulated and finished interior (sheetrock, paint, trim, the works). 12 recessed cans provide ample working light. Both garages have matching epoxy floor coating.

I really hate to give this place up after putting all the design time into getting it just the way I wanted it, but this new job was too good to pass up. Hoping a fellow car enthusiast can call this place home soon, and enjoy it the way I intended to. If you would like more info please don't hesitate to contact me at terribletworacing@gmail.com, or give my realtor Blake a shout. Will miss getting to hang with you guys, best wishes for everyone, and safe and happy tuning!

~Jack Ferguson
MadPSIentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey Jack!

I too know the feeling of not being able to get out to events. It's funny how life pulls us away from enthusiast activities even though the yearning to go is always burning in our soul. I'm glad to hear you've been able to find a new job that balances work/life and gives you better opportunities. There will be a gap left here in the scene as I've thoroughly enjoyed all the times we've been at events together. I still can't forget the snow day we had with the Subarus that one Monday many years ago--such fun times!

The house does indeed sound like a dream place with no detail spared! And I remember how nice it was that one Christmas when you hosted the Huntsville Flat Four meet. I hope someone is able to truly appreciate all the love you put into that house.

Good luck with the sale and the new job, and I hope our paths cross again soon.